Friday, February 20, 2009

Febuary 14?

I am calling anyone with insight to respond to this blog.

Please enlighten me on the reason Americans feel it necessary to celebrate Febuary 14th. Is this day placed on high in other countries? I adamently refuse to call Febuary 14th by its man-made name, but most of you know what day I am referring to. You probably should if you don't and if need, we can talk later. Where did this day come from? I do not believe it to be religious in nature and or a cultural significance, which some many of you choose to be involved in. Americans race around buying up flowers, cards, little teddy bears holding hearts and the like because we desperately want to show our loved ones we care? There are 364 other days for this and I advise you to pick one.
I randomly bring my mother flowers three to four times a year just because I love her. I do not need cupid telling when to do this. I am not saying I have never celebrated this day because that would be a lie. I remember dedicating an hour of class time in grammer school to trade cards and candy and for what? Department and grocery store isles change from regular consumer colors to bright pink and red consumer colors. Sorry but I just vomited in my shirt. Many women I know dread this day because they will not be included in the so called fun. The wallets of many men, I know, dread this day also. If there were a good day to start a Revolution, it would be Febuary 14th. I urge all people to stand up against the tyrany and in one voice shout into the night, the word NO! No to over priced flowers, and No to wasted grammer school hours, No to over priced teddy bears, and No... to time shares, No to pink and red, and No to rose pedals on the bed, No to love, and NO to hate, come on everbody let me hear you say NO! Thank you, thank you very much.

3 comments:

  1. I dont necessarily like the day myself, but humans sometimes need reminders to do certain things. I hate that love has to be one of those things, but lets face it, in our everyday rush of life; people have to be reminded to take a special day out for our loved ones.

    That's just my take on the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Mark--all the time, or not at all. Down with VD! Or, as I like to call it, "Singles' Awareness Day."

    K. Smith
    Eng. 226

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, I will take that as a compliment. It is a love-hate thing. I try not to have a grey area.

    ReplyDelete