Saturday, April 4, 2009

The things we forget.

Last night I ran into a guy I know. We don't hang out anymore, but there was a time when he was my best friend. We got to talking and he asked about my scar. He said, "let me see your scar", but I didn't know what he was talking about. It took a couple of minutes to flip through the pages of the past but I remembered. As kids we wrestled with a knife. I wear the proof on my hands from that day. It is not a good idea just so you know. While he was inspecting the scar, something occurred to me. I have multiple scars that are linked to my old friend. My scars are like the lines of a map connecting time and space. Time has a way of taking our memories. I see these scars all day long, as they are on my hands and face, but that isn't enough. These scars are my connection to past hurt that I have overlooked for too long. It was good to see him. As we caught up, my mind began welding together events from what seemed like a previous existence. It is as if the means for carrying these scars is not as important as the end result. Life is being aware of the scars we have, but not the reasons for them. Anyway, Eric it was awesome seeing you. I am certain our paths will cross again.

2 comments:

  1. I understand all too well about the scars we carry around with us, visible or not. I have thought too much about the end result and not the means. It has been too painful. This week, I encountered a new scar or wound, that will not be forgotten soon. No amount of time can erase this event I guarantee you.
    We should always remember how we got the scars and learn lessons, really learn them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the makings of a good segmented essay!

    K. Smith
    Eng. 226

    ReplyDelete